Opened in 1904, this hilly, tree-lined parkland course originally designed by C.S. Butchart has retained many of its original features. The course layout was fundamentally changed when in 1928 the Metropolitan Water Board built the Bishopswood Reservoir around the area that is now the 10th and 13th holes. This reservoir currently stores 40 million litres of water to supply North London with drinking water.
The course currently measures 6,015 yards with a par and standard scratch of 69 with the ladies at just over 5,400 yards with par 72 standard scratch 72. To demonstrate the test of golf Highgate offers those who play it, the current amateur course record of 66 was first scored in 1984 and whilst equalled on a number of occasions still remains the toughest record to beat.