The club was formed in 1904 on farmland owned by the Church Commissioners. 1000 years ago the land was known as Hornsey Park and was the hunting preserve of the Bishop of London. The Bishop's Hunting Lodge was located on the site of the 12th green and fell into disrepair about 500 years ago, but evidence of it is still visible and the site is shown on maps as Lodge Hill.
Robert the Bruce stayed at the Lodge sometime in 1305 and being in great danger was warned to escape - the warning was sent in the form of a spur with a feather attached which forms the basis of the Club's crest today.
The course was designed by Billy Winton who was the then professional of the now defunct Acton Golf Club. The Club then employed C.S. Butchart to re-design the course and he also became the club professional for the period 1904/05.
The course remained unaltered until 1928 when the Metropolitan Water Board compulsorily purchased 40% of the land for the construction of a reservoir. As a consequence the course had to be modified to what is basically the present layout. The remaining land continued to be held by the Church Commissioners, from whom the club purchased the freehold in 1959.
The original clubhouse was destroyed by fire in 1926 and the replacement was similarly destroyed in 1962.