Established in 1904, this leafy, parkland course was designed by C.S. Butchart on 83 acres of land that had been part of the hunting estate of the Bishops of London.
Though it retains many of its original features, the course layout was fundamentally changed in 1928, when the Metropolitan Water Board built the Bishopswood Reservoir beneath what are, now, the 10th and 13th holes. This reservoir currently stores 40 million litres of water and is integral to the water supply in North London.
The White tee course measures 6,033 yards with a par 69 and standard scratch of 70 with the ladies at just under 5,500 yards with par 72 standard scratch 72. To demonstrate the test of golf Highgate offers those who play it, the current amateur course record of 66 was first scored in 1984 and though matched, has never been bettered.